Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Winter Break

I know I haven't really posted in a long time.  I had my winter break which consisted of taking a winter class (got an A!!) and visiting my brother in Philadelphia.  Here are some pictures over the last month.


I started my break in California.  One day, my dad and I got delicious sandwiches from Busy Bee, a market in San Pedro, Calif., and drove down to this spot on the coast nearby.  You can literally drive up to the tide pools and sit there for hours.  It was such a nice day especially in the Winter, and it wasn't too crowded.  We watched as these huge waves crashed against the rocks, and laughed when the people too close to the tide pools got wet.  I always love spending time with my family, and this was a nice way to spend the day.  

I made this cake for my dad on his birthday, which was also Christmas day.  I got the recipe from Cupcakes and Cashmere, which was really Ina's.  This was the moistest cake ever! I will only make this cake for special occasions because it took me almost two hours to make the cake and the fluffy frosting.  Definitely not low calories or low fat, but, hey, it was the holidays.

Next, was New Year's Eve.  I rarely get to see my best friend, Morgan (above, left).  We've been best friends since Mommy and Me classes (8 months).  She invited my over to her house New Year's Day when her mom made cornish game hen, and Morgan put together this picture perfect ice cream desert.


For my last week of break, I went to visit my brother in Philadelphia.  I love cities because everything is fast paced and easy to walk around.  Plus, I love visiting my two adorable doggie-nieces (Below, Bella, left, and Zoe, right).   


 

We took a day trip to Washington DC.  Our first stop was the Newseum.  As a journalism major, I was really excited to see all of the historical artifacts they had, especially in the FBI exhibit.  I think we spent an hour reading every plaque on the bottom floor.  We didn't have time to look at the other floors, but I am definitely going back when I have the chance.  It was in a great location, right near Capitol Hill, so we were able to walk around after.


I am a huge "Top Chef" fan, so I had to have lunch at Spike Mendelsohn's restaurant, Good Stuff Eatery.

The line was pretty long, but it was well worth the wait.  I was so excited to eat the burger, that I forgot to take a picture of the burger before I ate it.  The burger was so good.  Now, I am a huge In-n-Out fan, so I have to stay loyal, but Spike's burger came to a close second.  He nailed the sauce on the burger and the meat was fresh and flavorful.  It was pretty messy, though, so I had to grab a ton of napkins.   



After lunch, we walked down the street.  I love how old buildings are on the east coast.  


We stopped at the Library of Congress.  We didn't have time to take a full tour, but we just had to see the  entrance.  Beautiful!


We couldn't believe how much detail was all over the building.  I was bummed we couldn't go in the actual library because "All the President's Men" is one of my favorite movies, and that scene where they go through the records and the camera pans up toward the library's ceiling is iconic. 


I was sad to say bye to my brother and the dogs (just look at that face!), but he is moving back to Scottsdale soon, so I am counting down the months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...